heart shaped backpack tutorial diy how to
I like puffy toy bags (and I cannot lie)! I have a brown bear backpack from the ninety's I nonetheless comport effectually regularly, but I've been wishing I had a toy handbag that really fit the piles of junk I insist on lugging effectually everywhere (wallet, sketchbook/pens, sneakers, apple tree, makeup bits).

diy heart backpack tutorial

(Some messy stitching in a higher place, sorry about that! This was my practice piece but I've ended upwardly really adoring it and then I may have to resew the straps etc)

When I saw this behemothic puffy heart pillow (and it's matching velvet heart pillow friend) at a local thrift store for $1.50 I snatched information technology up! And thus began my experiment.

Transforming my giant heart pillow into a big puffy backpack purse I could really utilise! This tutorial/process was admittedly pretty sloppy just it'll requite you an thought of how to practise this yourself should you desire a custom toy bag to friction match your outfit! How cute would one of those stuffed Halloween pumpkins exist as a bag? Or a giant pinkish bunny? 😀

I'g sure there are far easier or improve ways to do this, this is more of an overview of how I did this in case you wanted to endeavor information technology too. 🙂

plush toy backpack tutorial diy how to

Materials Needed:

-Pillow or plush toy. I recommend thrift shops for finding these.

-Scissors (sharp enough to cut fabric cleanly)

-Safe Pins/Directly pins

-Needle and thread (to match the color of your toy)

-Old backpack or tote bag (to go the straps from). You could too purchase that woven cotton strap ribbon from a fabric shop, I did not do this as I am cheap.

-Zipper. I used i I salvaged from a dress that I am editing, it'due south a wearing apparel zipper but 1 of those heavy duty bag or glaze ones in plastic would have been better.

-Tote bag (to line the inside of your handbag so pick one that isn't bigger than your toy/pillow).

Stride One:

diy pillow or toy into a purse or backpack tutorial how to

Cutting it! Carefully apply your scissors to cut a horizontal opening in the back of your pillow, if y'all're using a toy make up one's mind where youd like the bag's opening to be and cut in that location. Think of how you'll position the straps (either as a haversack or handbag).

Step Two:

Gut it! Remove some of the stuffing from the pillow/toy, you want to keep the stuffing that fills out it'south shape in place. If the toy has limbs leave those full, get out head shapes full- basically I just removed a pile from the middle of the heart so it would keep information technology's heart shape and not deflate.

Step Three:

toy into purse tutorial diy

stuffed toy into a backpack tutorial diy

Sew it! Time to add your straps! If you lot're making a backpack you'll need long plenty straps to get over your shoulders comfortably. If you're making a pocketbook/bag you lot need ones brusque plenty to sling over your wrist or shoulder. I cut the straps off of a nylon carry-all I had laying around equally they were very sturdy and perfectly long plenty to use for a backpack! You could get haversack straps from an old backpack or use the straps from your tote pocketbook used in this tutorial.

For a backpack add the straps to the elevation and bottom of your pillow as far autonomously every bit you like. Endeavor pinning them in place with safety pins to make certain they hang comfortably when worn. For a purse also effort pinning them earlier you begin sewing to see how the purse will hang when y'all use it.

Sew together the straps downwards to the exterior fabric of the toy/pillow. Most tote bags y'all'll see take a square of stitches used to attach straps and proceed them from ripping the cloth they're attached to. Basically run up around the bottom one-2″ inches of the strap in a square shape, and then make an X of stitches in the center of that square to reinforce it. Make sure they are sewn on well and aren't coming loose when worn.

Step Four:

IMGP8481

Stuff it! Insert the tote handbag into the opening in your pillow/toy and line the edges up with the edges of the opening y'all cutting in the toy/pillow. This will be the bag portion of your item! Make sure you've taken out enough stuffing to adapt the bag but non then much that information technology looses information technology'south cute shape when not totally full.

Now apply your straight pins to pivot the edge of the tote to the opening and keep it in place while you sew together the parts together. Carefully use a sewing motorcar or a needle and thread (I used a needle and thread) to attach the parts. You'll want to go over this several times to brand sure information technology's actually well attached every bit you lot don't want the pocketbook to rip when you use it.

Step Five:

plush toy into a backpack tutorial diy

Naught it! Take your attachment and line information technology upwards with the opening of the handbag. Use your straight pins to pin it into the opening, one side of the opening will sit on either fabric edge of the zipper. Carefully mitt run up or machine sew the zipper into identify, make sure to go over this lots to make certain the zipper is secure.

VOILA! Y'all now have your ain 1 of a kind stuffed toy or pillow bag/backpack!!!!!!! Enjoy! 🙂

-Taeden